- Job ID 2019-27258
Are you the next Senior Manager, Environmental Health & Safety Operations at The Jackson Laboratory?
We’re seeking a leader to manage and maintain comprehensive occupational safety and health programs for a production and research laboratory based organization including chemical & radiation safety, and relevant environmental, health & safety training, with an emphasis on hazardous waste management! The Senior Manager will lead a proactive customer/client centric, hands on approach to promoting, fostering and supporting a leadership driven injury free culture in compliance with applicable Laboratory policies and local, state and federal regulations.
- Lead personnel to deliver effective coverage and support of all environmental occupational health and safety (EHS) programs in a proactive customer centric manner.Maintain primary responsibility for hazardous waste management including shipment preparation for chemical and universal wastes, compliance audits, and regulatory compliance.
- Manage current EHS programs for a production and laboratory research based organization with attention towards identifying opportunities to improve operational efficiencies and their successful implementation.
- Partner with management leadership to promote a culture of safety, deliver appropriate training, and develop the appropriate metrics to measure effectiveness.
- Manage the compliance of EHS programs with applicable Laboratory policies and local, state and federal regulations.
- Build relationships within the Laboratory community to support a collaborative atmosphere for the successful implementation of EHS programs and corresponding employee learning and training safety initiatives.
- BS in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering or Industrial Hygiene and 8 years relevant experience in a production and research lab based environment.
- Current knowledge of federal, state and local safety regulations, protocols, and/or procedures and direct hands on exposure to a subset of occupational health and safety programs such as chemical, radiation, hazardous waste, fire, construction, fire, environmental, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are critical in this position. The ability to communicate effectively with others verbally and in writing, to clearly and effectively exchange information specifically when dealing with scientists and colleagues in the development of protocols and interpretation of data is essential.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills, including the ability to plan, schedule, and successfully carry out multiple projects at the same time to successful conclusion with minimal supervision.
- Current certification and training commensurate with a practicing safety professional in environmental health and safety.
- Proven record of successful leadership in a technical environment. Demonstrated success in supervising, mentoring, developing and training staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work.
Please submit a cover letter of interest and resume!
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Conn., and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, Calif., and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.