Husson University – Associate Vice President, Campus Safety & Security
The Associate Vice President, Campus Safety & Security is responsible for the development, implementation and management of campus safety and security programs and services, which enhance the public safety of the University Community and its visitors along with the protection of all institutional facilities and property.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leadership and management of the Department including hiring, training, direction and supervision.
- Works closely with staff, students, faculty, administrators, and the local community to direct and administer services and programs which contribute to a safe and secure campus environment.
- Ensure adequate emergency preparedness planning and training.
- Maintain and manage the Campus Emergency Notification Systems (e.g., EagleSafe mobile safety app, E2Campus emergency notification system)
- Manage the campus wide video surveillance system & keyless access.
- Maintain liaison with local, state, county, and federal emergency responders.
- Develop and manage department budget, staffing schedules, payroll costs, and purchasing.
- Investigate, report and track campus incidents, maintaining records and reporting out semester and academic year results.
- Comply with and issue required reports under Title IX, as it relates to safety/security.
- Oversee management of lost and found property.
- Plans and direct activities for parking management, traffic and crowd control.
- Continuously research best practice methods and technology for maintaining a safe and secure community
- Serve on institutional committees i.e. Risk Assessment Team, Students of Concern Team, University Safety Committee
- Prepare Management and Trustee Report Updates
- Prepare materials and present to student orientation
- Prepare and submit the annual security report “ASR” as part of the Clery Compliance Requirements for the University
- Other tasks as assigned
- Must demonstrate decisive and confident leadership abilities.
- Maturity supported by a strong ethical character.
- Be a clear thinker, display the ability to remain calm and show good judgment when resolving problems or dealing with crisis situations.
- Must have attention to detail and respond promptly and professionally.
- Be able to prioritize, organize and follow-up when needed
- Possess excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Work cohesively with senior staff and co-workers as part of a team.
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Maintain confidentiality of departmental and University information.
- Be able to delegate when necessary.
Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred, in Criminal Justice or related field of study.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of proven leadership in security, safety, law enforcement, or related field.
- Minimum of five years in a supervisory capacity including personnel management. Experience in administration of a safety and security program.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of criminal justice, law enforcement protocols/procedures, preferably including those in a higher education environment.
- Skilled conflict management and resolution skills.
- Knowledge of laws, rules, codes and currently accepted principles and practices relevant to safety and security operations in an educational or public facility, preferably including OSHA, NFPA, FEMA and NIMS.
- Possession of or ability to obtain CPR and First Aid certification,
- Ability to relate to and interact effectively with diverse populations.
- Working knowledge or ability to train on Microsoft office computer applications.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. On occasion the Executive Director may be required to assist officers and restrain or escort persons from campus.
This position normally works in an office environment with computers and other electronic devices, but may be required to work outside in cold, hot, and/or inclement weather.